A new era began for Howe Caverns on April 19, 2007, when the 220 shareholders of Howe Caverns Inc. sold the company to two local men, Charles M. Wright and Emil J. Galasso. Both men vowed to invest several million dollars in improvements to Howe Caverns over the coming years.
Galasso is also the founder of the Cave House Museum of Mining & Geology on the site of the original entrance to the caves next to Howe Caverns. The vision for the future of these properties includes joining the present Howe Caverns to Lester Howe’s original cave on the site of the museum so that visitors may see the natural wonder as they did in the 19th century.
The new owners continue to fulfill their vision for a renewed Howe Caverns to expand the tour beyond the current Lake of Venus. Eventually, this work will unite the entire cave system as it was found when Lester Howe discovered it in 1842. Walkways, lights and bridges will need to be installed. The 875 feet of cave destroyed by mining in the early 1900s will need to be recreated.
The Cave House Museum is a restoration project and is expected to take several years for completion.